Benefits of Breathing During Pregnancy & Birth
Breathing techniques are an integral part of learning how to give birth. Breathing can help reduce stress and anxiety associated with labor and delivery, and it can also help promote a smooth delivery. Research has shown that learning to breathe and relax can offer many benefits to pregnant women, both during pregnancy and during birth.
Benefits of Breathing During Pregnancy
- Reduce stress & anxiety: Breathing exercises can help reduce stress and anxiety during pregnancy. Studies have found that relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, can help reduce stress hormones, allowing for a more peaceful, less tense pregnancy experience.
- Pain relief: Breathing exercises can also provide natural pain relief. The rhythmic pattern of deep breaths can help the body relax, allowing for muscles to unclench and for pain to be more manageable.
- Helps to promote proper fetal positioning: Proper use of breathing techniques can help babies move into the optimal fetal position before delivery. Proper breathing technique can also help facilitate the baby’s descent down through the birthing canal.
- Promotes better sleep: Breathing exercises at bedtime can help pregnant women to relax and unwind. Relaxed breathing can lead to better, more restful sleep.
Benefits of Breathing During Birth
- Reduce stress & anxiety: Deep breathing during labor can help keep you relaxed and in control. The steady rhythm of deep breaths can help to keep fear and anxiety at bay and can also help provide a sense of control over the labor process.
- Pain relief: During contractions, breathing and relaxation techniques can help to manage and reduce the intensity of the contractions. Studies have found that using breathing techniques during labor can reduce the need for pain medication.
- Helps to promote fetal oxygenation: Proper breathing techniques can help to keep the baby’s oxygen supply consistent. When a woman is in an upright and supported position, with shallow breaths, oxygenation to the baby is improved.
- Helps facilitate vaginal delivery: Proper breathing techniques can help with cervical dilation by improving blood flow to the lower pelvis, which helps to facilitate labor and delivery.
Breathing is an important part of a woman’s pregnancy and delivery experience. Learning proper breathing techniques can help reduce stress and anxiety and can also provide pain relief. Furthermore, proper breathing can help to promote better oxygenation to the baby, help facilitate vaginal delivery and even potentially reduce the need for pain medication.