Probiotics and Pregnancy: Why It’s Important
Having a healthy pregnancy is a goal of many mothers-to-be. Eating a varied diet rich in probiotics is a key way to do this. Probiotics, or ‘good’ bacteria, are essential in helping to keep the gut bacteria in balance, which can have a big effect on pregnancy. Here’s what expectant mothers need to know about probiotics and pregnancy.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are ‘good’ bacteria. They help to break down food and keep the digestive system functioning properly. The gut is home to billions of bacteria, most of which are good for you.
How Does Digestion Affect Pregnancy?
Having healthy gut bacteria is important for pregnancy. During pregnancy, the balance of bacteria in the gut can be interrupted. This can lead to a whole range of digestive issues like constipation, nausea, and heartburn. Taking a probiotic supplement can help to restore the balance of gut bacteria during pregnancy.
What are The Benefits of Probiotics During Pregnancy?
Taking probiotics during pregnancy has a range of benefits:
- Improves digestion: Probiotics can help to balance out the gut bacteria, reducing digestive issues like constipation, nausea, and heartburn.
- Boosts the immune system: Probiotics help to boost the body’s immune system, which is important during pregnancy.
- Balances hormones: Probiotics have been found to have a positive effect on hormone balance, which is important in keeping pregnancy healthy and free of complications.
How Can Expectant Moms Get Probiotics?
There are many ways to get probiotics during pregnancy.
- Include probiotic-rich foods in your diet: Foods such as yoghurt, kefir, miso, kimchi, and sauerkraut are all rich in probiotics and make great additions to any pregnant woman’s diet.
- Take a probiotic supplement: Taking a probiotic supplement can be a great way to get extra probiotics. It is important to check with your doctor before taking any supplement.
Probiotics are important for all expecting mothers. Eating probiotic-rich foods and taking a probiotic supplement can help to keep the gut bacteria balanced during pregnancy, which can have a big effect on overall health. Make sure to get the advice of a doctor before taking any supplements.